Frontiers of Trauma Treatment: A Weekend Retreat
Bessel van der Kolk, MD, is a clinical psychiatrist whose work attempts to integrate mind, brain, body, and social connections to understand and treat trauma. His research ranges from the impact of trauma on development…
Full Bio & Programs
Dana Moore, MAR, MA, LPCC, is a therapist who uses elements of contemplative spirituality supported by neuroscience to treat psychological trauma. He is a founding member of the yoga program at the Trauma Center in…
Full Bio & Programs
For health professionals, therapists, yoga instructors, and others interested in the nature of trauma.
Overcoming trauma means learning to fully engage in the present without being hijacked by survival-related emotions and sensations. Success means allowing yourself to know what you know and feel what you feel without reentering the misery of the past. Recovery depends on having physical experiences that contradict the sensations and feelings of helplessness and disconnection. Physical mastery of a body-based practice such as yoga can open new pathways to current reality.
This workshop, based on the foundational practices of yoga and mindfulness meditation, includes
- Current research on trauma
- An exploration of the way overwhelming experiences change the capacity for self-regulation and how imprints of trauma are held in the body
- How brain function is shaped by experience and how life itself can continually transform the organization of brain circuits
- Specific techniques that address affect regulation, the integration of dissociated aspects of experience, chronic helplessness, and the reintegration of human connections.
Your increased understanding fertilizes the application of effective trauma interventions, including EMDR, yoga and sensorimotor processing, Internal Family Systems, and neurofeedback.
- 10 credits for Massage and Body Workers (NCBTMB), $30 additional charge
- 10 credits for Psychologists (PSY), $30 additional charge
- 10 credits for Certified Counselors (NBCC), $30 additional charge
- 10 credits for Athletic Trainers (BOC), $30 additional charge
- 10.5 credits for Social Workers (SW), $30 additional charge
- 10 credits for Yoga Alliance (YA), $30 additional charge
Read, Watch, Listen
- room & meals pricing
9:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday
View a sample schedule, find arrival information, and more.
Choice of Accommodations
Rates below reflect total housing costs for all program nights.
The dorms allow for 5–22 people per room, and offer simple bunk beds and nearby hall bathrooms.
- Standard Rooms
- $256 and up
These spare and peaceful rooms measure 8' x 12' and include a double or queen-size bed or platform twin beds.
- Standard Plus Rooms
- $392 and up
These quiet rooms are perfect for those who want a real retreat, and include simple décor, a double or queen-size bed, or twin beds.Learn More