Enlivening Your Postures: Yoga and the Alexander Technique
Joan Arnold, MAmSAT, RYT, a certified instructor of both the Alexander Technique and yoga, teaches workshops around New York City, where she maintains a private practice. Her weekly Anusara® Yoga classes at the Hudson Valley’s…
Full Bio & Programs
For all levels.
Do you encounter constricting habits you can’t overcome? Have some yoga poses defied your best efforts to master them? Find more joy in your yoga practice by learning the Alexander Technique’s accessible approach to solving chronic body problems. Through discussion and play, this workshop explores the Alexander Technique’s fundamental skills: learning to notice and release muscular overwork, relieving spinal compression, and embodying more ease in every activity.
You learn to
- Perceive and release constrictions that arise on the yoga mat
- Reveal unconscious assumptions about breath, support, and effort
- Use principles of efficient movement
- Free the crucial juncture between head and spine
- Experience how the gentle Alexander touch helps you to heighten awareness and deepen release
- Enjoy the power and buoyancy that come from balancing effort and ease.
The Alexander Technique’s approach to alleviating stress and reducing or eliminating chronic pain can help you expand your range, improve your breathing, and illuminate your practice.
Recommended reading Richard Brennan, Change Your Posture, Change Your Life (Watkins).
Note Wear yoga clothes and bring writing materials.
- 8.5 credits for Yoga Alliance (YA), $20 additional charge
- 8.5 credits for Massage and Body Workers (NCBTMB), $20 additional charge
- 8.5 credits for Athletic Trainers (BOC), $20 additional charge
- room & meals pricing
Take this program together with the one below and save $ 46.50:
9:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday
View a sample schedule, find arrival information, and more.
Choice of Accommodations
The dorms allow for 5–22 people per room, and offer simple bunk beds and nearby hall bathrooms.
- Standard Rooms
- $226 and up
These spare and peaceful rooms measure 8' x 12' and include a double or queen-size bed or platform twin beds.
- Standard Plus Rooms
- $344 and up
These quiet rooms are perfect for those who want a real retreat, and include simple décor, a double or queen-size bed, or twin beds.Learn More