The Art of Empathy: Learning How to Balance Connection, Self-Awareness, and Healthy Intimacy
Karla McLaren is an empath, a pioneering educator, researcher, and award-winning author whose empathic approach to emotions values even the most “negative” emotions, and opens startling new pathways into the depths of the soul. She…
Full Bio & Programs
Empathy may be our most essential skill, yet many of us trip over it because we weren’t taught how it works. In this program, empath Karla McLaren helps you learn how to work with empathy through grounded, accessible, step-by-step practices.
In a safe and respectful environment, come explore
- The six essential aspects of empathy
- A unique empathic approach to emotions and social intelligence
- Empathic mindfulness skills to help you live more authentically
- Specific empathic communication techniques to nurture your relationships
- Self-soothing skills to help you access empathy in challenging situations
- Practices for creating healthy empathic environments at home and at work.
If your empathy is too intense, learn how to manage it more comfortably. If empathy is confusing for you, learn how to understand it clearly. No matter where you start, you can benefit from developing healthy empathy.Recommended reading Karla McLaren, The Art of Empathy (Sounds True) and The Language of Emotions (Sounds True).
- 23.5 credits for Social Workers (SW), $20 additional charge
- room & meals pricing
9:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday
View a sample schedule, find arrival information, and more.
Choice of Accommodations
Rates below reflect total housing costs for all program nights.
The dorms allow for 5–22 people per room, and offer simple bunk beds and nearby hall bathrooms.
- Standard Rooms
- $565 and up
These spare and peaceful rooms measure 8' x 12' and include a double or queen-size bed or platform twin beds.
- Standard Plus Rooms
- $860 and up
These quiet rooms are perfect for those who want a real retreat, and include simple décor, a double or queen-size bed, or twin beds.Learn More