What Motivates Change? Translating Theory into Practice
Dana Sturtevant, MS, RD, is a registered dietitian who has been incorporating Motivational Interviewing into her clinical practice for more than 12 years. She currently has a private practice, Be Nourished, in Portland, Oregon, where…
Full Bio & Programs
For helping professionals, health coaches, Ayurvedic practitioners, yoga teachers, and yoga therapists.
Learn practical strategies to make your interactions with clients more satisfying and effective. The conversations that occur between helping professionals and their clients are powerful ones, capable of supporting or inhibiting the innate change process that is alive in all of us. Motivational Interviewing (MI) is a person-centered, guiding method of communication and counseling that elicits and strengthens intrinsic motivation for positive health behavior change.
Designed for helping professionals who want to enhance their skills in behavior change counseling, this program offers
- A common-sense approach for supporting people in making and sustaining change
- Lively discussions to deepen understanding of the paradox of change and the spirit of MI
- Practice activities for skill-building
- A combination of principles, skills, and strategies to elicit client strengths, inner wisdom, reasons for change, and ways of achieving it
- Q&A time with an MI trainer.
Recommended reading Steven Rollnick, William R. Miller, and Christopher C. Butler, Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior (Guilford Press).
- 14 credits for Registered Dietitians (RD), $30 additional charge
- 14 credits for Social Workers (SW), $30 additional charge
Call To Register
- room & meals pricing
Online registration is not available for this program. Please call 866.200.5203 to register.
9:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday
View a sample schedule, find arrival information, and more.
Choice of Accommodations
Rates below reflect total housing costs for all program nights.
The dorms allow for 5–22 people per room, and offer simple bunk beds and nearby hall bathrooms.
- Standard Rooms
- $339 and up
These spare and peaceful rooms measure 8' x 12' and include a double or queen-size bed or platform twin beds.
- Standard Plus Rooms
- $516 and up
These quiet rooms are perfect for those who want a real retreat, and include simple décor, a double or queen-size bed, or twin beds.Learn More