Digestive Tea Recipe
Digestive Tea for All Doshas
1 finely sliced ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1 licorice stick (it’s actually the root of the plant, and looks like a twig), about 1” long
1 pint boiling water
Put all ingredients in a pot of boiling water and steep for 20 minutes on low heat. Pound the licorice stick with a mortar and pestle. Brew for at least five minutes as licorice takes a while to release its bittersweet flavor. Strain and enjoy!
Tips for Improving Digestion
- Eat in a calm and settled environment.
- Never eat and run—allow a few minutes after eating to relax or take a gentle walk.
- Sip warm water throughout your meal.
- Eat freshly cooked or prepared meals.
- Chew your food well and be mindful of its smells, tastes, and textures.
- Focus on eating, not on conversation, TV, reading, etc.
- Leave ⅓ of your stomach empty using your hands as your guide—cupping both hands together is a guide to the amount of food to ingest with an equal amount of liquid leaving an equal amount empty.
- Avoid ice-cold food or drink.
- Eat only when you feel hungry.
- Eat at a moderate pace.
- Allow a few hours between meals and bedtime.
- Try to eat the bulk of your food at midday and lighter amounts at night.
- Sip warm water or ginger tea throughout the day.
- Give thanks.